Juniors (Ages 5-11)
The Junior Department at The Park School is a happy and relaxed place to learn and make friends. An independent School, with small class sizes the Junior Pastoral and Subject Teachers know each child as an individual and learning experiences are designed to cater for each pupil's specific needs.
The real strength of our school lies in our nurture of each child to enable them to develop a strong sense of self belief. We are proud to raise confident, courteous children who are well-mannered and considerate of others.
Our Juniors are taught by staff who concentrate on their own specialist areas, offering pupils the opportunity to explore a wide range of subjects with teachers who share their passion for their learning adventure.
Our vision is for The Park School to be recognised locally and internationally for the high standards of private education it provides for pupils, from primary to secondary, with all the benefits of its size, location and its Christian foundation.
Based on its Christian ethos, the Park School aims to provide a solid foundation for life for all its pupils by providing a safe and happy environment in which they can develop academically, physically, emotionally, socially and spiritually to their highest potential so that they can mature into well-rounded adults in today’s world.
In practice, the achievement of this aim will be furthered by the continuing development of an effective partnership between staff, pupils, parents and governors.
Aims of The Park School
- Create a community founded on our Christian principles.
- As part of their all-round development, every child is encouraged to find a spiritual awareness.
- Offer the opportunity for each child to have a fulfilling education, academic excellence and a wide range of social, sporting and cultural activities to broaden horizons and build self-confidence.
- Develop the unique qualities of each child by providing a curriculum and learning environment in which all children will explore their talents.
- Prepare our young people for the world outside school, by giving them the confidence to share and discuss their opinions, by developing in them enquiring minds and the courage and compassion to make them effective members of society.
- For our boarders we aim to provide a caring and secure environment, where students can feel at home and enjoy a wide range of fulfilling extra-curricular and leisure activities.
How to apply
Children are welcome to enter our Junior Department at any stage during Years 1 - 6 (ages 5 - 10). Once you have contacted The School we will suggest you come for a visit and to talk to Mrs Huntington (Head) and Mr Horne (Head of Juniors) and the teaching staff. There are no formal entry tests, but we suggest your child comes in for a 'Taster Day.' This gives your child the chance to find out what a day feels like at The Park School and it gives teachers the opportunity to assess your child's strengths, interests and needs within the context of the peer group.
The school day for Years 1 and 2 is 8.30 - 3.30 with wrap around care available from 8.00am - 6.00pm.
The daily sessions for Years 1 and 2 are:
- Mornings: 8.30 - 12.00
- Break is from 10.35 - 10.55 (Children are encouraged to bring a healthy snack and we offer special snacks on 'Fruit Fridays.').
- Lunch: 12.15 in the dining room, the cost of lunch is included in the fees for Years 1 and 2 and a wide choice is available for all pupils in our canteen style servery. Family meals are eaten together and teachers eat their meals with the children.
- Afternoons: 13.35 - 3.30 The playground gate is opened at 3.30pm for parents of Year 1 and 2 pupils to come and collect their children from the classroom. This gives parents and teachers the opportunity to talk and parents waiting for an older sibling are welcome to stay for a cup of tea or play with their younger children in the playground.
There is a variety of after school clubs and activities for Junior children and pupils are able to go to Late Room to do homework or play games until 5.00pm. From 5.00 - 6.00pm there is further late provision and a snack box is provided for a small daily charge.
The school day for Years 3 - 6 is 8.30 - 3.50 with wrap around care available from 8.00am - 6.00pm.
The daily sessions for Years 3 - 6 are:
- Mornings: 8.30 - 12.25
- Break is from 10.35 - 10.55 (Children are encouraged to bring a healthy snack).
- Lunch: 12.25 in the dining room, there is a wide choice available for all pupils in our canteen style servery. Family meals are eaten together and teachers eat their meals with the children.
- Afternoons: 13.35 - 3.50 Parents are asked to collect their children from the playground at 3.50pm.
There is a variety of after school clubs and activities for Junior children and pupils are able to go to Late Room to do their homework/prep until 5.00pm. From 5.00 - 6.00pm there is further late provision and a snack box is provided for a small daily charge.
Keeping in Touch
In the Junior Department the Pastoral Tutor is responsible for the pastoral care of each child and they are available each day to talk to parents, so any concerns or news items from the day, or arrangements for the following day can be addressed.
We use 'Teachers2Parents' regularly to give up to date information to parents by text message.
There is a weekly class newsletter for Junior Parents and a School Newsletter which are both emailed to parents every Friday during term time.